Saturday, April 11, 2009

Something Different

Lately, I've seen some really interesting art books. These are usually books that have been altered with a variety of mixed media techniques. They look like they'd be a lot of fun to create, so I've decided to give it a try.

I started with a board book, purchased at my local childrens' consignment shop. I painted the pages with gesso, and propped it up to dry. Because some of the pages briefly touched, the gesso got "messed up" into a frost-like pattern. No problem: I took detail shots of the cool pattern and then smoothed on another coat.

Now that my book is dry, it's on to the fun part!

P.S. If you're not familiar with gesso, it's the stuff that covers prepared artists' canvasses. It provides a good base for just about any medium.

No comments: