Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Necessity is the mother of invention.......

I'm involved in a photo-challenge and have been struggling with this image.  I'm just not a landscape person.  I've looked at the image many ways, undecided, and finally uploaded it into Photoshop.  I tried a bunch of different filters and still couldn't see something I wanted to work with.

(Note: Click on images to enlarge) 

Finally, in desperation, I started drawing lines on it.  After I'd finished, I realized I'd created something similar to Ruth McDowell's pieced patterns, but much more quickly than the ruler and tracing paper method.









Quickly flipping the pattern horizontally.......










....and turning off the image layer (the first layer I started with) by clicking on the eye next to it, Voila!  I have my pattern. 
 
Print and start sewing!













I'm not a big paper piecer, but it seems to be working for this project and now that I've figured this out I feel lots more ideas brewing in the back of my mind!  Here is the bottom half of the quilt, in progress.  It will be embroidered and embellished before it is done.  (Update--to see the finished piece, click here)

5 comments:

Paula said...

Great idea, Martha! Photoshop is useful in so many ways. Thanks for sharing this one.

Anonymous said...

What a great approach! Useful and yet simple. Thanks for sharing your discovery.
Lisa-Marie

Diane Wright said...

I just have two things to say: I'm glad I didn't get this landscape and I'm glad you did. I'm glad I didn't because I could not have solved the challenge as elegantly you have, which is also why I'm glad you did get it.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Diane

Wen said...

What an original idea!

Anonymous said...

wow..this is very cool.. I can't wait to see it done..