Friday, April 3, 2009

I Did it Again

I changed horses midstream.

I was happily working along on a new piece, deciding on the placement of lots of small orange circles. Then, I had, what was for me, a very radical thought: What if I made this a very calm almost monochromatic piece? What? ME monochromatic? I let that idea percolate for a while and decided to audition some sheer fabrics in similar colors.
So, this is where I am now. The photo shows my collection of "cut" (actually soldered) sheer circles. My circles went from opaque orange to sheer blue-greens and such. I'm liking it!

This is the thing about changing horses: I generally find the new one much fresher. I'm almost always happy with my midstream radical changes.

And this is the other thing: these ideas come over time. They're not my first inclination. I think that's one of the good things about the slow process of quilt making. If I were a painter, I could more quickly display my first thought. But then, these slow ideas wouldn't have a chance to develop. Something for me to remember when I get in a hurry.

4 comments:

Paula said...

Not only do I see fairy wings, but soft petals on a rainy afternoon with just a hint of sunlight awaiting a rainbow... Ellen, I can't wait to see this one!

Ellen Lindner said...

Wait till you see! A total departure, color-wise, for me. I'm loving it, though!
Ellen

Anonymous said...

I love it, very peaceful. I have been fascinated by monochromatic works and I look forward to seeing what comes from this. Heck, the photo alone is inspiring!
Lisa-Marie

Carole said...

Ellen... hi and thanks for the invite to come and see... what fun this blog will be to watch!
AND, I am loving what I see posted here for your changing directions...sure do love those colors. Are those burned edges on your sheers?
Can't wait to see where it goes next!
Carole