Sunday, July 12, 2009

What I'm Made Of

from Martha Wolfe
As part of your membership in the Dirty Dozen, you need to create a representational, self portrait. Being a fairly new member, I am working to complete mine for our upcoming show in October (more details soon!).

The technique I have been using lately for representational images is pretty simple. Starting with a photo (in this case, not the best, but an interesting one), I open it in Photoshop and use one of the stock filters---in this case I used "Cutout", then played with the number of levels and the edge settings until I got an image I felt I could collage successfully.

The collage is all raw edge with machine applique. I chose batiks, because the variegation in color makes the image look more alive. The striped shirt will be a challenge! Here is the work in progress.

2 comments:

Diane Wright said...

Very interesting. I've not worked with digital images and will be following yours...maybe I'll give it a go too. I'll wait to see your portrait first;>)

Ellen Lindner said...

This is looking great, Martha. I still don't get how you're placing those little pieces so successfully!