Sunday, June 21, 2009

Abstract from Realism

From Ellen Lindner

At our recent play day, we did an exercise about finding abstract designs around us. The assignment started with photographing objects throughout the house. Later, we were to sketch one of the objects, removing as many details as possible, in order to reveal "the essence" of that object.


I decided to try a similar thing with some photos from that day. My question: How much could I omit and still be able to show the essence of these items?


I'm sure you can identify the old phone, above. I was struck by the strong design of this little photo. Maybe a future quilt design?


Can you identify the items below? (They belong to Jill.)



Yep. Her crocs.


This is a fun, and I think, valuable creative exercise.

2 comments:

jillb said...

I didn't know my crocs were so interesting!!

Sue Dennis said...

Hi Ellen
good to see you're working away there in Melbourne! We are off to Melbourne, Victoria in Australia on the weekend.
cheers, Sue D