Thursday, May 14, 2009


My entry for Brevard Art Museum's ´Take Out" exhibition began its life as a humble white Chinese Take Out carton, as required. I pulled some fabrics from my stash, and started designing. For the inside, I used a piece of fabric I had embellished with foiling and oil sticks. For the outside, I cut random strips from some hand painted fabrics a friend brought me from New Zealand. I layered them on another piece of fabric, fused them, then quilted them with metallic thread.

I applied fusible web to both pieces of fabric, opened up the box, sandwiched it between the two layers and fused it all together. I made sure the fabric extended a little beyond the cardboard, knowing I had to satin stitch the edges.

I folded the box back into its proper shape, then had to figure out how to get it to stay together. I ended up using an awl (with my husband's help) to poke holes through all the layers, so I could sew buttons on it. Kind of a four hand job. Then I decided it needed more embellishment on the inside, so I foiled each flap (after I had sewn it together, mind you.)

I foiled some more fabric, cut it into strips, then wove the little placemat, Then I fused it to a background fabric and quilted it with metallic thread. For a final touch, I added beads to the metal handle. At this point, my box became a little tipsy. So I ended up balancing it on the handle, hence the name of my piece is "Balancing Act."

I'm happy to say "Balancing Act" was accepted for the exhibit, and is sharing a table with Jill's piece. Drop by Brevard Art Museum if you have a chance - you will be amazed at all of the imaginative and beautiful creations.

1 comment:

Martha Wolfe said...

That is so neat, Dij! Can't wait to go see the real thing at the show, hopefully tomorrow!