Tuesday, August 25, 2009

2009 Retreat: Fabric, Friends and Fun

by Lisa-Marie Sanders


Does your quilting group have an annual retreat? If not, I’d highly recommend it! We just finished our annual weekend retreat and it was a blast. Our monthly meetings are great but it is hard to surpass the bonding that takes place when you spend two days together crammed into small condos, stepping around sewing machines, supplies and drying fabric. I loved watching my friends as they struggled with creative or technical decisions. I loved the help and insights that each person brought to bear on my dilemmas.

There is something from everyone in each of my projects from the retreat: fabric from Irene, paint from Paula, beads from Jill, yarn from Ruth Anne, Photoshop work from Martha and borders from Ellen. And though we worked a lot, we played too. We had a road trip to a bead shop, we took a post-midnight turtle walk on the beach, we dined together and we learned more about each other on a personal level. Did I mention we laughed a lot? We did.

There were so many hysterical moments that I began to chronicle them so we’d have a way to remember them all. Some you might enjoy:
- A glass of wine helps with free motion quilting
- Whatever problem you may have, there’s a bead for that
- Late night wisdom: don’t crop until morning
- Pass your purse to the person on your left (so you won’t spend too much at the store)

It’s only been a week and I’m already looking forward to next year’s retreat.

(the photo is of Irene Watson working through lunch one day.)

1 comment:

ruthanne said...

Yes, we did have fun. I saw Diane today and told her what a good time was had by all.

ruthanne